Annette's Acre

Stitching, knitting, reading, life…whatever catches my eye
October 6th, 2013

Sunday Swap – 10/6/2013

Good news:

I finished my Sulky experiment:

Attractive Opposites

 

 

Ink Circles Attractive Opposites (one of them)
32-ct Sage Jobelan
One strand Sulky 12-wt Blendables Merlot Blush

 

The verdict? I was thisclose to pulling out some 32 or 35 ct linen for Rosetta or Cirque de Cercles.  The thread was very easy to work with and has great coverage on the 32-ct fabric.  I love being able to simply cut off a length off the spool, thread a needle and be ready to go.  It’s also washable and colorfast which is a great thing when you’ve invested that much time and money into a project.

Not-so-Good News:

I did manage a bit more on Sleepy Hollow and added a few dozen stitches to Widow Black’s B&B.  Neither could hold my attention, though, as I was working on the Ink Circles piece.  It’s been a bit of a stressful week, so the simplicity of one color and a repetitive design was quite soothing.

I’ve no idea what I’m going to pick up this week.  Knit?  More x’s?  Back to Stars?  Don’t make me decide right now…

September 29th, 2013

Sunday Swap – 9/29/2013

Even with the late start this week, I did manage to finish a few more hexes (Row 5 and beginning of Row 6)

 

Row 6 introduces a new fabric (thank heaven) and there will be much rejoicing when we move on to a new color….. here’s the finished pic

I was struck with an idea last week when I posted the Thursday Thirteen.  Thanks to some DVR/Schedule craziness, we missed the regular showing of Sleepy Hollow on Monday night.  Thankfully, Fox reran the episode on Friday.  It seemed a perfect opportunity to follow thru with my idea, so I quickly pulled out design, fabric and as much of the floss as I could (easily 3/4 of the DMC in the stash).  I spent time measuring and cutting fabric and tagging a few of the flosses, but I managed a respectable hour or so of stitching on the horse’s flank area.

 

I’ll pick it up again when we watch this week’s episode.  It will be slow going but progress is progress.

The other idea lurking in the back of my head was based on a recent post by Tracy at Ink Circles.  She shared a critique of a new thread – new to her, not new to the world (Sulking or Sulky-ing).  I had hoped to find a color or two on the quilt shop hop, but sadly, none of the shops I visited carried this particular type of Sulky.  A quick online search and I found a source: Red Rock Threads.  A few days and a few dollars later, I had several colors to try.

This is Merlot Blush on 32-ct Sage Jobelan (Ink Circles Attractive Opposites design):

 

For any future monochromatic designs, I will *definitely* consider this thread.  Per Tracy, a 300m spool will do one of her Circes de… designs (equivalent of 12-13 skeins of DMC using 2-strands).   I may have bought a couple colors with those in mind 😉

This week I’m headed back to Widow Black’s B&B (with a side trip to Sleepy Hollow one night).  See you next Sunday!

September 8th, 2013

Sunday Swap

With work and other family obligations, my stitching time has been a bit erratic the last few months.  My buddy Terri instituted a “Sunday Rotation” earlier this year and I’ve managed to incorporate it completely without intention.

Essentially, every Sunday I swap to another project.  I don’t sweat how much time I managed to work (or didn’t) on the previous week’s project, I just pick something new for Sunday and beyond.  Given the bulk of my stitching time is Friday thru Sunday (thanks to baseball/football) I usually manage a few hours on at least two projects over the weekend 🙂

Last Sunday I threw caution to the wind and gave in to my extreme love of Halloween and started a project that I had purchased the day before at Attic’s Market Day.  It’s Praiseworthy Stitches Widow Black’s B&B

Widow Black's B&B

The fabric is Colorscapes Mirage, 32-ct.  The model was done on Picture this Plus Murky, but the cuts that were in the shop were either 40-ct (too small given the number of JABCO buttons used) or the color was just….odd.  Seriously, it looked like the waste water after a particularly colorful watercolor painting.  I’m sure there are folks that would like it, just not me.

I chose to stitch the piece in DMC.  The chart lists 50+ overdyed cottons, but I wasn’t ready to put down another $125 (approximately) for floss after buying chart, buttons and a large cut of fabric (larger than a FQ).

Of course, I am now on the hunt for the rest of the haunted houses in the series 😉

This Sunday I’m picking up Stars for a New Millennium.  Here’s where I’m at:

Stars for a New Millennium

I’ll be working the next square: Ava Gardner.  If I complete the square and still have time this week I will work on sashing and borders, as usual.

I love how this piece is coming together.  Part of me wants to simply push on and finish the final three squares and borders and the other part will be very sad when it’s done 🙂

Of course, I always want to do more than one square when I get started but soon realize that my fingers just aren’t tough enough for that much canvaswork at once.  LOL  All those layered stitches make for some tough pushing/pulling of a needle!

See you at next week’s Swap!